Frequently Asked Questions
You may register for a library card with proper identification and it may be used at any Monroe County Public Library.
- A current library card in good standing is required to borrow materials. Picture ID, along with proof of your current address is needed to obtain a card.
- Library cards are renewed annually. All financial obligations, including fines and/or lost books, processing fees, etc. must be paid before the renewal occurs. Picture ID, along with proof of your current address is needed to renew a library card.
- The signature of a parent or guardian is required on a registration form when children in 6th grade or younger request a library card. Since New York State law protects the confidentiality of library patrons’ financial and circulation records, patrons should use their own cards exclusively.
- Fairport organizations may request a library card for their group.
- If you’re unable to come into the library, you can get an E-Card, which provides access only to our digital collections!
- A Non-Resident Library Card is available for $25 annually for those who reside outside Monroe County.
All materials at the Fairport Public Library may be borrowed free of charge.
- Materials should be returned before the library closes on the date they are due. Receipts listing the due dates for all items borrowed are given every time you check out.
- Book drops may be used for all library materials. There are 2 book drops inside the library: one at the circulation desk and one inside the Main Street doors. There are also 3 book drops that can be accessed anytime: one in the atrium in the lower level of the Village Landing (accessible when the building is open), one in the parking garage, and one on Main Street next to the stairs leading to the landing parking lot.
- Materials returned after the due dates are considered “overdue” and a fine begins accruing against each item immediately. Fines stop accruing when the item is renewed, returned, or the maximum fine is reached.
- It is possible to renew some materials online, or over the phone by calling 585-223-9091 during open library hours. Please have your Library Card number ready for either renewal method.
- If you receive an overdue notice and you believe the item has been returned, please call the library.
- If fines or charges exceed $20.00, borrowing privileges are suspended until the amount is reduced.
- Borrowers are responsible for the replacement cost of materials that are lost or damaged while out on loan as well as a non-refundable $5.00 processing fee.
- Holds may be placed on items currently checked out or requested from another library. There is no hold fee when items are picked up from the Fairport Public Library.
- There is a $20.00 fee for returned checks.
- Materials from other libraries, even if borrowed at Fairport, are subject to the loan period and fine schedule of the OWNING library.
Sign up for the Monroe County Library System’s email notification by logging into your account and choosing “Opt-In and Notifications”.
- You will be sent an email when your hold is ready for pick up.
- You will get a courtesy reminder three days before the due date on all your library items.
- You will receive an email if you have something overdue.
A few reminders about email notices:
- Once you sign up for email notices, you will not receive phone calls or paper notices. Be sure the email account you select is one that you check regularly.
- Spam filters might catch some of these emails so please allow messages from email@example.com.
- It’s very easy to cancel these emails as well. Just follow the instructions in the message or call the library at 585-223-9091.
Sign up for our email newsletter to receive information about library events, programs, suggested reading and other topics.
Library staff may be available to proctor different types of exams for students. Please click here to download the guidelines and application. For more information, please call the Information Desk at 585-223-9091.
- Download the Libby app from your device’s app store or go to libbyapp.com on your web browser.
- Follow the prompts to search for your library and login with your library card.
- Search for a title
- Select the item you would like to check out and click “borrow”
- Find the item on your shelf to read or listen.
Find more detailed information on using Libby here.
To view your loan history, you must first opt-in:
- Sign into your library account here
- Click on Opt-In & Notifications
- Check the box that says “Save my loan history”
Once you have opted in, you will be able to see your loan history anytime you log into your library account.
*please note: this feature will only save your loan history going forward from the time you opt in*